Enjoy The Journey


Written by Raymond Salas


Enjoy the journey

Recently, while driving my car, I was rushing to reach my destination. All of us have been and/or seen these types of drivers before: the ones that "zigzag" in and out of traffic, racing to get somewhere.

Well, that was me on this particular day.

So, there I was hurrying along, trying not to be late, when I noticed a slower moving vehicle in the next lane. The driver was relaxed and smiling, talking to the passenger in the other seat. They were both laughing and didn't seem to have a care in the world.

At that exact moment, they were both the complete opposite of me.

I was rushing so I wouldn't be late. They clearly were not.

Therefore, I quickly passed them.

I continued my quick pace for another ten minutes, until I was finally about to arrive, on time, at my destination.

All of my focus and extra effort had paid off...or so I thought.

As I came to a stop at the last signal before my turn, I looked over at the car next to me and realized that it was the same two girls that I had zoomed passed earlier.

And, yes!...they were still smiling, laughing, and talking, clearly in no hurry to get anywhere.

How did they get in front of me?

When did they pass me?

How did this happen?

I was shocked...until the lesson and irony of the situation dawned on me.

Here's what I realized:

Often, we get so focused on our goals and destination in life that we forget to relax and enjoy the journey.

As a result, we unnecessarily add stress, tension, worry, and resistance to our life experience.

Life is not so much about getting somewhere, as it is remembering to appreciate, savor, have more fun, laugh, and enjoy ourselves along the way. Not only will we arrive at our destination just as fast (or even faster), but we will also feel good now, in the process of getting there.

"Our strongest wanting for you is that you lighten up. In other words, spend more time looking for things to laugh about and play with. Play your way through this. It really is the key. When you follow your bliss it is always an easy journey.

The main event has never been the manifestation; the main event has always been the way you feel moment by moment, because that's what life is." 

- Abraham-Hicks