How to Request a Miracle

Photo by LTerra C (CC BY 2.0)


Written by Raymond Salas

At one time or another, many of us have felt like the character “George Bailey” in the holiday classic “It’s A Wonderful Life.” At his lowest point emotionally, George prays, “Dear Father in Heaven, I'm not a praying man, but if you're up there and you can hear, show me the way.”


George Bailey’s miracle came in the form of the angel “Clarence Oddbody,” who helped him to see that he really had a blessed and wonderful life.


So, let me ask you, “Do you (or anyone you know) need your own miracle right now in any area of your life? Or do you feel like you could actually use several miracles now in many different areas?”


George Bailey got his miracle; now let’s see how we can get ours too.



What is a miracle?


The word “miracle” comes from a Latin word meaning “something wonderful.”


Wikipedia defines a “miracle” as a “striking interposition of divine intervention by a god in the universe by which the ordinary course and operation of nature is overruled, suspended, or modified.” In other words, we get “hooked up” in some really cool way by the “Big G” (God). 


For most people however, a miracle can also be something that is unlikely but really good and beneficial or it can be virtually anything else that is seen and regarded as “wonderful.” For example, to Boston baseball fans, the Red Sox winning their first World Series since 1918 (in 2004) was a miracle. To many others, winning the lottery is a miracle.


While writing “The Power of Now,” Eckhart Tolle experienced his own lottery miracle:

“I had virtually no income (at the time) and lived on my savings, which were quickly running out. In fact, everything fell into place beautifully. I ran out of money just when I was getting close to finishing writing. I bought a lottery ticket and won $1,000, which kept me going for another month.”

For me, a miracle is a “shift or change in perception.” Yes, these shifts and changes can sometimes be sudden or happen quickly, but miracles have no limitations (such as time and space) because they are pure expressions of a greater Love.



Key Characteristics of Miracles


Some key characteristics and principles of miracles, as listed in “A Course In Miracles,” include:
  • There is no order of difficulty in miracles. One is not "harder" or "bigger" than another. They are all the same.
  • Miracles are natural. Miracles occur naturally as expressions of love.
  • Miracles should inspire gratitude, not awe.



How to Request a Miracle

“Prayer is the medium of miracles.” 

- A Course In Miracles

Here is my own “system” or way of requesting and praying for a miracle:

  • Use The Power of Gratitude
After identifying the area(s) where I would like to have a miracle, I begin using the power of gratitude by writing a list of all of the things that I am grateful in this particular area that I am challenged with (even if I don’t think there are any). For example, if I am requesting a miracle for abundance and prosperity, I write down all of the abundance and prosperity that I am already grateful for in my life. I try to list as many items as possible on my gratitude list. In fact, I try to come up with at least 10-15 entries. For some areas, this is easy. Others, it can take some work to come up with this many, but I do try to stick with the process until I do.


After completing my list, I write “Things I am grateful for” at the top of the page. Next, I review the list several times to make sure that I included all of the items that I could reasonably think of. 


Sometimes, during this reviewing process, I will think of new items to add to the list, therefore, it can be very helpful to take your time with these exercises.


Whenever I feel like this gratitude list is complete, I then read it aloud, item by item and say “Thank you God” for each item on the list. Also, when I give thanks, I try to sincerely feel as much gratitude as possible for each item before moving on to the next one.


  • Use The Power of Forgiveness
Next, I start a new list with all of my “problems” that I am facing in this area(s) of my life. By “problem,” I am referring to “everything that does not bring me joy, everything that does not bring me peace, and everything that I feel challenged with in any way.”


After writing out this list, I write “Things I would like the Universe to take care of” at the top of this page. Again, as with the previous list, I review it to make sure that it includes everything that was on my mind in this particular area of my life.


When this process feels complete, I read each item aloud and sincerely say (to my Higher Self within): “I am sorry. Please forgive me for whatever is going in me that is responsible for the problem here. Thank you. I love you.” Then, I take a deep breath, let it go, and move on to the next item on the list and repeat these steps.


As I discussed in “How to Solve All of Your Problems,” this is a powerful method for forgiving yourself and taking full responsibility for all areas of your life. By taking full responsibility, you become empowered to initiate the miracles and changes that you truly desire.


After I have completed all of these steps (for both lists and exercises), I literally shred and discard all of it the next day. I have found it to be very helpful to wait one day before doing all of this because it will give me the opportunity to add items to both lists (if they occur to me). Also, by actually shredding the lists, it helps me to let go completely and fully release my requests to the Universe when I am done. Other people may prefer more ceremonious methods of discarding their lists, such as burning them in a fireplace or bonfire (if convenient and available).


  • Use The Power of a “Miracle Journal”
For the final step, I start a “miracle journal.” First, I begin this journal by writing “Miracles I am grateful for” at the top of the page. Then, I list daily all of the miracles, signs, synchronicities, messages, and coincidences that I experience (both big and small) throughout the day.


For example, as I shared in “Pennies from Heaven,” pennies have always been a good sign for me to surrender and trust (“in God we trust”). Other times, billboards, license plates, songs on the radio or other symbolic messages have shown up as the perfect sign, guide, and miracle for me in that moment. I have discovered that they are always there for me when I am open, willing, and desire to see them.


The easiest way for me to maintain my “miracle journal” is to reflect back to all of the miracles at the end of each day (although another convenient time during the day could also work well for others). What I have discovered from this process is that most of the so-called “big” miracles are often just a series of “small” (or even “tiny”) miracles. However, the important thing is not to judge the size here. That’s right. Size does not matter.


I only need to become aware of the miracles (regardless of size), write them down in my journal, and be grateful. Often, many of these “small” (or “tiny”) miracles will be understood or make more sense later when seen from a larger or different perspective.



The Formula for Miracles

“The miracle comes quietly into the mind that stops an instant and is still.” 

- A Course in Miracles

So, whenever I truly desire a miracle in my life, I simply use the power of gratitude and forgiveness (as detailed in the processes above), along with keeping my “miracle journal.” 


They have been the most effective and powerful way that I have found to quiet my mind enough to allow the miracles to flow and manifest in my life.