The Key to Happiness


Written by Raymond Salas


Are you ready for the “magical” key to happiness?

I thought so! Here goes… (drum roll, please)…

The key to happiness is simply deciding to be happy now, no matter what. That’s right, no matter what!

“We are really advocates of just getting as happy as you can be—which takes care of everything. Even if you don’t have reason to be happy—make it up. Fantasize it. Make a decision that you’re going to be happy one way or another—no matter what. ‘No matter what, I’m going to be happy! If I have to ignore everybody; if I have to never watch television again; if I have to never pick up a newspaper again, I’m going to be happy. If I never have to see that person’s face again, I’m going to be happy. If I have to see that person’s face, I’m going to find something to see in that person’s face that makes me happy. I’m going to be happy. I’m going to be happy. I’m going to be happy.’”

- Abraham-Hicks 




Tools for Happiness

Here are some tools that I have found helpful for keeping me happy throughout my day:


Set your intentions for the day

I begin my day by making my intentions to be happy. My intentions for the day might go something like this:
  • Today, no matter where I am, no matter what I am doing, and no matter who I am with, it is my dominant intention to feel good.
  • I want to feel good today, no matter what!
  • I want to be happy today, no matter what!
  • I want to do things that make my heart sing today, no matter what!
  • I want to act from inspiration today, no matter what!
  • I want to be grateful and thankful today, no matter what!


Take regular joy breaks

Whenever I can stay purely focused upon any thought for as little as 68 seconds, according to Abraham-Hicks, the vibration is powerful enough that its manifestation begins.

So I figured, why not use this knowledge and take 68 second “joy breaks” throughout my day?

What is a “joy break?”

A “joy break” is where I simply use my imagination to feel as good as I possibly can for 68 seconds at time. I can focus on something real or imagined. It does not matter. The only requirement for me is to reach for the most joyful feeling that I possibly can and let the Universe take care of the rest.

I have found this to be a very powerful exercise because it sends out a joyful vibration from me to the Universe, which in turn, must respond by sending me back experiences that match my positive vibrations. The beautiful thing is that the Universe has no choice in the matter. It must obey. It is universal law.


Focus on the positive

Whenever I notice any area of my life that feels less than positive in any way, I stop in that moment and try focus on at least 3-5 things that are positive about that area instead. Ideally, I try to write these 3-5 things out. However, if this is not convenient, I simply do it mentally. What I have found is that it can turn a negative situation into a positive one. But, more importantly, it returns my vibration that I am sending out to the Universe, to a positive one, free from resistance.


Be grateful

A variation of this “Focus on the positive” exercise is to think or write out at least 3-5 things that I am grateful and thankful for, whenever I notice that I am feeling anything less than joy in any given moment.


Affirmations for happiness

I have discovered that positive “self-talk” and affirmations can also be a powerful tool for happiness.

Here are some examples of suggestions and reminders that can be used as positive “self-talk” and affirmations throughout the day:

“I’m going to be happy. I’m going to be glad. I’m going to smile a lot. I’m going to be easy. I’m going to count my blessings. I’m going to look for reasons to feel good. I’m going to dig up positive things from the past. I’m going to look for positive things where I stand. I’m going to look for positive things in the future. It is my natural state to be a happy person. It’s natural for me to love and to laugh. This is what is most natural for me. I am a happy person!”

The key here is to not only repeat these affirmations, but to sincerely feel them too.


Happiness through meditation

The most powerful way that I have found to be happy is to meditate daily.

I believe that joy, happiness, and well-being are natural states of being. Therefore, whenever I can silence the mental chatter, these natural states of being will automatically rise to the surface every time.

In Ask and It Is GivenEsther and Jerry Hicks point out:
“It is easier for most of you to clear your minds, having no thought, than it is for you to think pure, positive thoughts. For when you quiet your mind, you offer no thought; and when you do so, you offer no resistance; and when you have activated no resistant thought, the vibration of your Being is high and fast and pure.”
For me, the easiest way to meditate is to sit comfortably in a quiet space, close my eyes, and focus my attention on my breath, as I breathe slowly and deeply. Whenever my mind wanders, I simply bring my attention back to my breath.

I have found that 10-15 minutes of this meditation practice can literally perform miracles (i.e., change my perception).

A quicker (and sometimes, more convenient) variation of this meditation practice is to simply close my eyes and take three slow, deep breaths.

Everything always feels better whenever I do this.


My invitation to you now:

I offer you these tools for happiness here so that you can start being happy right now! 😁